Another Dylan List
The seventieth birthday of Mr. Bob Dylan arrives on Tuesday. As a result I’ve curated a highly personal and therefore stringent playlist of his music. Tragically, since Bob Dylan (or rather Sony BMG) hates profitless promotion on the Internet; Youtube, Spotify and Soundcloud links are all impossibly scarce or immediately deleted.
BBC4 and BBC6 Music have been airing Dylan based documentaries and features all week, the majority of which can be caught on iPlayer right now if you click here. Also if you haven’t watched this exploration of inarticulate artists, please do so below:
- I Was Young When I Left Home  (Minnesota Hotel Tape) The “No Direction Home hidden gem” one.
- A Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall  () The “question n’ answer in the form of a list” one.
- I Shall Be Free  The “new boy on the block and he don’t give a damn” one.
- Girl From The North Country (CBC in Toronto in 1963 Live Verson) The “I’m now going to strictly rehearse fingerpicking” one.
- Boots of Spanish Leather  (Martin Simpson Cover from A Nod To Bob) The “Girl From The North Country” one.
- It Ain’t Me Babe  The “Johnny Cash” one.
- Like A Rolling Stone  The “double-drum crack is the sound of someone kicking open the door to your mind” one.
- Subterranean Homesick Blues  The “learn all the words only to forget them, again” one.
- Positively 4th Street  The “remains catchy without a recognisable or repeating refrain” one.
- Tombstone Blues  The “sun’s not yellow it’s chicken” one.
- Buckets of Rain  The “alternate tuning” one.
- You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go  The “exquisite rhyming scheme” one.
- Isis  The “rhyming ‘ordinary’ with ‘necessary'” one.
-James Godwin, May 22nd, 2011
- Which Bob Dylan songs would make your dream playlist? (guardian.co.uk)
- You: Up close and personal: Why Dylan is so big in Japan (search.japantimes.co.jp)
- Bob Dylan’s 70th Birthday – Come and celebrate with us! (castlegallerieschester.wordpress.com)